31090051

I have a 2004 motor home which has three forward facing

I have a 2004 motor home which has three forward facing seats two in the front and one in the rear, these all have seat belts. There is also a bench seat which faces sideways on looking across the vehicle which could seat upto three people but there are no seatbelts. Is it against the law to carry passengers on the bench seat?
Expert:  F E Smith replied 2 months ago.

Hello - have you just bought this vehicle?

Expert:  JGM replied 2 months ago.

In April 2012 the legislation that relates to the use of sideways facing seats was adopted. European Whole Vehicle Type Approval Regulations prohibit the use of side facing seats as travel seats, stating that ‘Research has shown that it is not possible to provide side-facing seats with safety belts ensuring the same level of safety to the occupants as front-facing seats. For safety reasons, it is necessary to ban those seats in certain categories of vehicles.’

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It was purchased 16th August 2017
Expert:  JGM replied 2 months ago.

The date of purchase doesn't actually matter. The rules from 2012 state that side facing seats can't be used for travel. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.

Experience: 30 years as a practising solicitor.