Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

Had a company install a new garage. previously old garage

Had a company install a new garage. previously old garage used for storage and a shed used for storing furniture. Old garage was damp and shed was dry.
I put furniture in storage when the old garage and shed were taken down. New garage leaks and I cannot take furniture out of storage until repairs are done by the company who installed the garage.
Expected furniture to come out of storage at end of July. Company have informed me they will come to do repairs 28 September, but i will have to wait until it rains again to see it the problem has been resolved.
So my furniture is still in storage. I contacted the company and they are not willing to pay for the storage for August and September £323.
Do I have any rights.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 13 days ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

On what basis do they refuse please?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Quote from their e-mail 'In relation to the charges relating we would not be liable to refund you any monies on this basis'
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 13 days ago.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/hmctsformfinder/n1-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Do I have to respond within 14 days to their response by e-mail. Also the bill for storage might exceed £323 which is for August and September as once they have done the repairs I will have to wait for it to rain to make sure it does not leak. Workmen are going to put down wooden flooring in the part of the garage that will have the furniture, so I can't have this done until I know the garage is dry. So will I have to take them to court again for extra period in storage. How much is this going to cost me
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 13 days ago.

No, you dont have to respond within 14 days.

Small claims is cheap, the costs are fixed relating to the value of the claim.

https://formfinder.hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/ex50-eng.pdf
Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Can you explain the 14 days when I have to write to them and when it relates to my case. Example when I know the garage is dry or when the furniture comes out of storage
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 13 days ago.

You just write and set out your case, say you want the refund of that cost.

You just set out your claim against them

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I can do this once I know the garage is dry. Is this correct
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 13 days ago.

Correct. Dont worry as you have 6 years to bring a claim

Does that help?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I was getting confused about the 14 days
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 13 days ago.

Sure. Can I help with anything else today?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Do I have a strong case
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 13 days ago.

I think you do have an arguable case, yes

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I don't want to waste more money taking them to court if I definitely don't have a chance winning
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 13 days ago.

You have a decent claim, yes. Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you yes
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 13 days ago.

All the best.