Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

I had a mortgage on my home which I paid off in 2015. The

Hello.
I had a mortgage on my home which I paid off in 2015.
The mortgage was with the Halifax. At the time they told me that title deeds are not something that gets returned nowadays, as Land Registry has it all.
Is that correct, or should I have received a copy of the Title Deeds for my property?
Lance
Expert:  Joshua replied 12 days ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

May I confirm with you that your property is registered at the Land Registry? This will almost certainly be the case if you purchased or remortgage your property at any time in the last 20-25 years.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I obtained an electronic copy of the Land Registry document, which shows me as he owner.
Expert:  Joshua replied 12 days ago.

Thank you. On that basis what you have been told is correct. The Land Registration Act operated to "dematerialise" title deeds meaning that the computer electronic record is now your title and not the paper deeds. The old title deeds are now no longer anything more than an historic record. That being said you may still want to keep them if they exist as a keepsake and very occasionally, though this is very rare, they can come in useful if a document has not been produced on first registration of the property at the Land Registry, one can sometimes find it in the old bundle of title deeds. However this last point really should not concern you - this happens very very rarely so is highly unlikely to be relevant to you.

Subject as above there is no need for you to have any physical title deeds any longer in order to prove your title.

Does the above answer all your questions? If it does, I should be very grateful if you would kindly take a moment to click a rating for my service to you today. Your feedback is important to me. If there is anything else I can help with please reply back to me though

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you Joshua, that is most helpful. I shall rate your response as excellent.RegardsLance
Expert:  Joshua replied 12 days ago.

Very kind. Thank you. Best wishes