Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I have a son in Jamaica he was born there2014.I hold a

I have a son in Jamaica he was born there2014.I hold a British passport as a British citizen.
My son mother is Jamaican.Would he qualify to get a british passport.?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 month ago.

1. Dear Horace, where were you born - in Britain? to a British citizen yourself? Or how did you acquire your British citizenship?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I was born Jamaica.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Both parents are Jamaican. I Came.here.1966 we.all paid to get british citizenship.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 month ago.

2. Dear Horace, I regret to say that your son doesn't acquire British citizenship. This is because he was born in Jamaica. Essentially, he would have had to have been born in the UK to acquire British nationality automatically.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 month ago.

3. Now, your son will have to come a join you in the UK and live there for five years if he is to obtain Indefinite Leave to Remain and then citizenship.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 month ago.

4. Be aware that the rules for acquiring British citizenship are different for the children of people, like yourself, who acquire British nationality during their life, than if you were a British citizenship by descent.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 month ago.

5. Please Rate or Accept the answer as unless you do so your Expert will not receive payment from the website for answering your question.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks for enlightenment.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 month ago.

6. You are welcome. Best wishes.