12826847

How after after a minor assault can the police take action?

Customer Question

How long after after a minor assault can the police take action?
In April I was provoked and grabbed an acquaintance by the throat, no other contact was made and now I have had a voicemail from the police asking me to contact them?
Do they have 6 months to interview me?
How would you advise me to proceed with this matter?
Steve
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 months ago.

Six months from the date of the offence.

They have to lay an information before the court or charge you within that time.

They will do it though. If you don't surrender they will only come and arrest you. They won't lay themselves open to a complaint.

People who think this twaddle is worthy of the attention of the police are exactly the sort of people who complain to the IPCC.

I'm afraid that victims are generally next week's defendant.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Jo, I am in Cape Verde on holiday and I will not be home until the day after the 6 month time period, which will be the 8th October. If they have not made contact with me by then can they still prosecute me on my return or do you think they will inform the courts for intension to prosecute realising that the 6 month period is coming to an end?
Steve
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Jo,
Yes we can use this post.
Steve
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 months ago.

If there is an issue with limitation then you may find that they will just summons you I'm afraid.