Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

I have purchased furniture of value more than £1,000 from a

I have purchased furniture of value more than £1,000 from a store with which I have an account. This was five months ago, the furniture was delivered. However, it has never appeared on my statement which is currently in credit (£30). Am I legally bound to draw their attention to the error or does it mean I can now keep the furniture without making any further payment. Thank you.
Expert:  Joshua replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

From what you say this is a form of directory shopping where the store offers you credit terms (be it interest or interest free) to buy items and then charges you for them on the agreed terms at set intervals?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No, we visit the store, where we have an account which we use when we make a major purchase
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I did not provide a phone number and prefer not to
Expert:  Joshua replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for the clarification. It is for the store to maintain your account accurately. You are under no obligation to draw any accounting errors (however large such as this one) to their attention. The only thing to keep in mind is they have up to 6 years in which to correct their error and charge you for the items in question after which time they will be time barred from doing so under the Limitation Act. Accordingly you may wish ensure that you retain sufficient monies to pay for the items in the future if they do discover their error for that 6 year period. Other than that aspect there is nothing further you need do.

Does the above answer all your questions? If it does, I should be very grateful if you would kindly take a moment to click a rating for my service to you today. Your feedback is important to me. If there is anything else I can help with please reply back to me though