12826847

Is it a crime to use someone else's picture on a dating site

Is it a crime to use someone else's picture on a dating site without their permission? A person I know who is suffering from chronic depression has done this and been found out. He is now in a terrible state of anxiety.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 months ago.

No.

It is not a crime or a civil tort.

A person is free to take photographs as they wish unless they actually amount to voyeurism or a person pays for the negatives or there is some other property dispute arising from the negatives.

A person is perfectly free to use photographs as they wish unless they commit fraudulent acts with it.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I've just spoken to the person to get more info. Apparently he used someone's photo ID from an instagram account. He has not sought to gain anything material from that person or from girls he's 'chatted to' in the 'disguise'. But the person whose photo & name he's used says it's his business name and says he'll contact the Police.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 months ago.

Please don't worry.

The police will not be remotely interested.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thankyou so much. I'm sure he'll be relieved.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 months ago.

No problem and all the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/