29905560

I paid a 10% deposit on a camper van approximately 6 weeks

Hello I paid a 10% deposit on a camper van approximately 6 weeks ago, purchase price 28,995. He asked me to send photos of my car and milage which I did. I informed him that I would not be able to collect camper till after 25th August, he sent me an email comforming he would buy my car for £6k rest in cash. I said I would go ahead with purchase if he through in a bike rack, which he agreed to do, have email as proof. I emailed him confirming details of purchase and bike rack. He is now saying that he miss understood me about the bike rack and won't fit one. Also I have done an additional 1800 miles, he never stated that I could not do additional miles, or that increased miles would affect the sale.what are my legal rights, I'm due to pick up the camper on 25th September. I live in Torquay and camper is Brighton. Is His email to me legally binding offering me 6k for my car?Thank you
Marina zapata
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 month ago.

I presume the email contained no conditions you had to meet for the sale to go through?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Correct no conditions
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 month ago.

What does he think you had agreed in relation to the bike rack?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Think he's just pulling a fast one really, as he's now saying he miss understood me. I said I would buy to camper if he through in a bike rack, he said yes, I said deal. Sent him an email to confirm this.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 month ago.

Ok great, thanks. The email can certainly be considered a binding document if it is clear that you had both agreed on something. In fact nothing is required in writing, as long as there was an offer by one of you and an acceptance of that offer by the other person. Therefore, it is indeed most likely that you can hold him to that agreement.

In terms of the mileage, strictly speaking the offer would have been based on the condition of the car as it was when you sent him the details of it. There is no requirement for him to have told you that you cannot incur any more miles for that to be effective - it is really an implied expectation. So he can potentially knock of some money for the deprecation of the car’s value as a result of this excess mileage. But it won’t be that much - 1800 miles is not a huge amount and it should only be reduced considering market values, so that will not make a massive difference.

So in the end he can slightly reduce the value of your car, and you can demand the bike rack.

I trust this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above - this is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you still need me to clarify anything else, please reply on here and I will assist as best as I can. Thank you

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 month ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** of course serve as good evidence should you need it