29905560

I sold an item on ebay for £7, posted the 21st Aug 2017 the

I sold an item on ebay for £7, posted the 21st Aug 2017 the purchaser said she had not received it and made a file against me with ebay, who passed it to paypal and the money from her to me was placed on hold till she either received the item or she was refunded. I made a claim for lost good to royal mail, the purchaser then claimed on 3rd sept with payapl to say nothing had been received, she emailed me I told her the claim was going through roayl mail and would be in touch. On the 10th Sept ebay and paypal was asked to step in via the purchaser to settle this, and I again got an email asking me to settle, so I did rather then it go to far. I today received a letter from Royal mail to say the goods was in fact delivered to the lady on the 24th Aug 3 days after posting, have contacted ebay over this an have got no where, Im out of pocket, have tried to contact buyer but email is wrong and eaby will not give nieher latest one nor will they refund me and my fees is there anything further I can do please
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Are you certain the item was delivered to the lady personally, rather than someone else pretending to be her, or just someone who accepted delivery on her behalf?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have a letter from royal mail saying it was delivered to her address and name on the 24th Aug, even though she claimed via ebay some 9 days later
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no just type please
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
her is the letter
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
hello you their

yes still here just typing up answer

At this stage there is not much to be done with ebay and Paypal because they have ended their involve,ent and they follow very rigid procedures which will not overturn the outcome. So your rights are very much against the buyer directly and you will have to pursue them personally if you wanted to go any further with this.

What you have to consider is that whilst you can contact them and ask for payment, if they refuse then the only way to try and get anything back is to go to the small claims court. For a value of £7, that may not be the best idea as the fees will easily overtake anything you can get back from this. Also there is the time and effort involved in claiming, plus the fact there is no guarantee you will get anything back.

But it is an option (albeit the only one) and it is there if you really felt like you had to take this further.

You can find details on how to initiate a claim here:

https://www.scotcourts.gov.uk/taking-action/small-claims

I suggest contacting the buyer initially and threatening legal action if they do not resolve this directly with you, just to give them a chance to do so, but if they do not then at least you know where to go next if needed.

I trust this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above - this is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you still need me to clarify anything else, please reply on here and I will assist as best as I can. Thank you

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I would contact the buyer but she has changed her email address, have asked ebay for it so I can contact her, or even her phone number but they refuse to give it to me. I do have her address in Yorkshire Im in Scotland so it is to far to go and call on her, is there a way around getting ebay to give me the ifo I require thanks
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
SORRY INFO

Not without a court order - they have strict data protection obligations to protect her confidential information. I know that it is important to act out of principle but eventually you have to also consider the reality of how easy it would be to pursue this and for £7 it would very quickly become a disproportionate argument, considering the time and expenses involved in taking it further

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok well thanks like you say its the principle of the matter more then anything, just so annoyed ebay or paypal will not take this further

they are useless, I have dealt with them before, but once they make a decision that is it really, as mentioned they have very rigid procedures. If you had been able to show before the decision that the item was delivered then it may have been a different story but as far as they see it - you had a chance to do this but did not take it so the case is closed