F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

Can a tenant whose tenancy ended 7 months ago still sue for

Can a tenant whose tenancy ended 7 months ago still sue for not having their deposit in a tenancy deposit scheme?
Expert:  F E Smith replied 2 months ago.

Hello - can you give me some more information please - was this a private landlord? and dates of your tenancy

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am the private landlord.
The tenant vacated in February 2017 and have put in a claim because I didn't put their deposit in a TDS.

To my knowledge, it’s no different than anything else and the time limit for this is 6 years under the Limitation Act 1980.

If you didn’t protect the deposit, these claims are very difficult to defend.

Some solicitors are actively looking for these for exactly that reason, that they are so easy to bring.

Sorry.

I’m happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

Please take a moment to look at the top right hand corner of the page and rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen. It’s important you use the rating service because that gives me credit. It doesn’t just give me a pat on the head! All you need to do is press Submit. Thank you. If you still need any point clarifying, I will still reply because the thread does not close.

Best wishes.

FES.