Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

Rented a 2007 motor home locally but had no signed rental

Rented a 2007 motor home locally but had no signed rental contract. Touring sales is their main business with a couple of motor homes for rent.Van was not inspected for damages prior to collection by either myself or an employee at the site, nor was it inspected upon return.
There was already damage to one of the windows which I did notice once we had set off but didn't report it.
After returning the van I later had a call to say the window was damaged which they say wasn't damaged at time of collection, therefore must have been damaged be myselfWithout any proof of how the window was damaged, who does the blame lie with as I am reluctant to pay as it definitely wasn't my faultMany thanks
Mary
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Just to be clear, it was not picked up when you returned it?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No, not picked up when I returned it nor did I point it out to them

Then they have no way of knowing whether it was damaged AFTER it had been returned.

As such, you are not liable.
Its their fault for not picking it up on return.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi JamieNo I just handed back the keys to the business owner and left. They then called me about 1hr later.Thank, that clears it up for me, I can go back to them and explain this.Many thanks

All the best. If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, by clicking on the 5 stars or happy face at the bottom of the screen, otherwise the site does not pay me for the time spent with you today. It is also an important part of the online process. Thank you in advance and good luck!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Will do, many thanks Jamie :)