29905560

I acted as a paid consultant 1 day a week for a big UK NGO,

I acted as a paid consultant 1 day a week for a big UK NGO, teaching on a course.
After 10 months, I left after a disagreement about the running of the course.
Since I left, the NGO has continued to use all the lessons I prepared, both in the classroom and online.
Some of the lessons contain photos I took, and they all contain text I composed.My consultant contract does not specify that my IP will belong to them.
Q: Can they continue to use my lessons and other teaching materials without my agreement?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 month ago.

Did you agree for them to use the materials at the time?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
whilst I was with them I did. But there was no expectation that I would leave and the use of materials after I left was not discussed nor was anything in writing
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My responsibilities included to " identify and support the creation of teaching material"
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I attach the consultant contract - the responsibilities come at the end
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 month ago.

As a consultant, any IP belongs to you, unless you had an agreement transferring these rights to the employer. It does not need to be in writing but it would help if it was in the event of a dispute. In your case you had no such agreement and the only consent was that they use the material whilst you were there working for them. Once your relationship terminated, you could have withheld your consent for your copyrighted material to be used by them. So if you know they are using it now, you should contact the, remind them that you still own the materials and that you have revoked any licences you may have issued for them to use it and that they should refrain from using it any further. If they do, then they would be acting in breach of copyright and you would be forced to consider further action to enforce your rights.

I trust this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above - this is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you still need me to clarify anything else, please reply on here and I will assist as best as I can. Thank you

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What do you think?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 month ago.

I think our replies crossed above

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
First rate answer, Ben - can you give me your contact details in case I need to hire you?
For now, that will do splendidly.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 month ago.

I am very sorry but I am not allowed to share these as I cannot take on clients outside of this site (rules I work under on here), hope you understand. But you can always get back to e on here if needed

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Gotcha. My email is r.n.davidson[at]imperial.ac.uk
Goodbye
Rob
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 month ago.

Many thanks, ***** ***** resolve this!