Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

I live in a leasehold house and want to buy the freehold,

I live in a leasehold house and want to buy the freehold, I've been told by the management company that "Unfortunately we are writing to advise you that the freehold is not currently for sale. Should the position change, you will of course be offered the right of first refusal."I am led to believe that Since 1967, tenants of houses under long leases have had the right either to acquire the freehold or to extend the lease by 50 years. There is over 900 years left on the lease. Am I entitled to purchase it ?
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 30 days ago.

How long have you owned the property for?

Kind Regards

Al

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
We've lived there for 10 years approx. We are still paying a mortgage on it. After a couple of years living there we received letters saying we could purchase the freehold, but we didn't have the money at that time. I think we received the letters for 2 years (once per year with our ground rent bill).

Well, you are indeed legally entitled to purchase the Freehold. ormally, Freeholders will agree to sell the Freehold on an informal basis meaning that the Leaseholder (you) do not need to serve any statutory Notice requesting to purchase the Freehold. If the Freeholder/Management Company are being awkward and do not wish to agree a sale on an informal basis, you will need to instruct a local Solicitor to assist you with serving the official statutory Notice, so that matters can proceed.

I hope this assists.

If so, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer in the top right hand corner of your screen.

Kind Regards

Al

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
Great, thanks for clearing that up. Very much appreciated. Thanks for your time.