Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

Can the police intervene when travellers are attempting to

Can the police intervene when travellers are attempting to occupy privately owned fenced in land.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 30 days ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Can you please explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
I do not require or want a monthly bill please cancel my question and pending membership . Thank you. regards ***** *****
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 30 days ago.

You do not have membership. You have paid for a one off question.

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
Sorry its not very clear, I was asked if I wanted a monthly subscription and there did not appear to be another option. I just need a one off answer to the question please. What other information do you require ?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 30 days ago.

I dont quite understand your question - can you please explain the situation a bit more?

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
There is a site in our village that is privately owned it is a re built pub. Recently a travelling family occupied it for a week then left. There is security fencing . Will the police respond if travellers/gypsies are attempting to occupy the land and do have they powers to prevent them.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 30 days ago.

The Police can interview them but cant prevent them occupying without a Court order.

If they attempt to break in and cause damage, that is an offence for which they can be arrested and charged.

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
if they are attempting to smash down or remove barriers the police can arrest them ? NB I am talking about occupation of land not the building
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 30 days ago.

Correct. Its still criminal damage

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
many thanks, ***** ***** the confusion at the beginning regards ***** *****
Customer: replied 30 days ago.
Sorry just to clarify they can be arrested for criminal damage but can they still occupy the land ?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 30 days ago.

Yes.