31090051

I left the scene of a car accident after drinking last

Customer Question

I left the scene of a car accident after drinking last night. No one else was involved just damaged my own car on a roundabout. What should I do? I'll need to report it as my car was left there and will have been recovered...
Expert:  JGM replied 2 months ago.

Was the car driveable? Is it still there? How did you get home?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No it wasn't drivable after the accident. It's not there this morning. Walked home after
Expert:  JGM replied 2 months ago.

In that case you should report it but under no circumstances do you admit to drinking and driving. Unless you do, there is no evidence with which to charge you with that. You can simply say your attention wandered and the accident happened, you were a bit shocked and you went straight home. You have to report within 24 hours and unless there is any damage to the roundabout or anything else they will in all likelihood bill you for the vehicle recovery. I am assuming there are no witnesses and that you are not still under the influence. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I should just report it at the police station and just say it was an accident - no drink involved? Not aware of any witnesses.
Expert:  JGM replied 2 months ago.

That would be what I would do, assuming they can’t get evidence of you drinking beforehand.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sorry one more question. Is there anyway you can get prosecuted for drink driving without providing a breath, urine or blood specimen? E.g. If they see cctv footage of me drinking in a bar before getting in the car?
Expert:  JGM replied 2 months ago.

I have never seen that done.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi - I seem to have been charged for a phone call which never happened? How can I request a refund for the phone call portion?