Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

My husband is on his own and my children are British

Hi Harris, my husband is on his own and my children are British citizens . If I apply for housing benefit and child tax credit with my 19000 a year wage would I still be able to meet the financial requirements ?
Next question is I am living in 2 bedroom property and have 2 boys age of 13 years and 1year , one girl 17 years . Do I meet the property requirement to give visa to my spouse only ?
Expert:  Harris replied 26 days ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer.

1. To bring your spouse to live in the UK, you need to be earning a certain amount ('meeting the financial requirement', or have enough savings. This will show that you receive enough money to look after your dependant. Thank you for providing the information, as the amount depends on who you're applying for.

For your spouse alone, you need to earn £18,600 per year before tax.

You can meet the financial requirement through a combination of:

• income from employment or self-employment - if you’re in the UK with permission to work
  • a pension
  • maternity, paternity, adoption or sick pay
  • other income such as from rent or shares
  • cash savings - you’ll need at least £16,000, and the savings must have been in your name for 6 months or more

Furthermore, as your spouse is from outside the EEA, there is a charge of £200 per year for healthcare in the UK, as part of their visa application (the NHS healthcare surcharge).

For more information please refer to: https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa.

I hope this answers your question. If it does, I would be grateful if you would kindly take a moment to click a rating for my service to you today.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
How about my question for property size 2 bedroom for me my 3 children 2 boys 1 girl ? Can I go ahead and apply for visa or I need to move to bigger 3 bedroom before I apply ?
Expert:  Harris replied 26 days ago.

You may need to provide evidence of the availability and adequacy of accommodation for your family. This means the accommodation will be adequate without the need for public funds and that the family owns the accommodation exclusively.

The accommodation will not be regarded as adequate if-

(a) it is, or will be, overcrowded; or

(b) it contravenes public health regulations.

For further guidance, I would like to refer you to the Maintenance and accommodation guidance (MAA):

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/maintenance-and-accommodation-maa/maintenance-and-accommodation-maa--2#maa5-what-evidence-of-maintenance-is-required