31090051

My solicitor recently raised a license to occupy when our

My solicitor recently raised a license to occupy when our business needed to extend a lease a further month prior to a business move
We agreed to pay the landlords legal fees although there is no evidence as such he even took legal advice ( no comms from his legal entity at all to question the license or agree it approval etc)
The landlord then approaches us and asks for £750 + vat for legal fees
When I object to the amount and ask for an itemised bill to show work completed even their solicitor wrote back claiming they don't need to justify their fees and such questions only increases costs further
Are the fees reasonable ? Do I have a right to question them ? I feel pressured by the landlord and his team and his solicitor to pay without question !
Expert:  JGM replied 28 days ago.

Thanks for your question. I am a UK solicitor with 30 years experience in commercial leasing. If the licence agreement doesn’t state a specific fee then it is implied into the contract that the fee would have to be reasonably charged. The sum of £750 plus VAT is typically the kind of fee charged by a landlord for a commercial licence agreement so yes, the fee is reasonable and no, you are wasting your time disputing the fee. I hope that answers your question. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.