31090051

I'm a tenant in a property since September 2011. In May of

Good afternoon. I'm a tenant in a property since September 2011. In May of this year I came home from church and found the outer glass on the oven door had spiderwebbed. I took a picture and sent it to my landlord. After a few hours he called me, very upset, said he spoke to a friend who told him that it could only happen by slamming the oven door. I wondered to myself if it could just shatter by itself, so I googled and found that there are numerous occasions of it happening. I told him that he should check on google and he would see that it happens frequently. I also checked with the manufacturer, Zanussi, about replacing the glass or door, but was told that the particular model is obsolete and cannot be acquired; the only option would be to replace the oven. He then said he would speak to his handyman and get back to me. I did not hear from him again until last week I contacted him about the boiler and he's now telling me that he expects me to replace the door, which in effect would be the entire oven. Am I liable? Thanks in advance for your advice.
Expert:  JGM replied 25 days ago.

No, you are not liable. The landlord is responsible for the appliances and has to replace a broken oven. There is no evidence that the damage was caused by you. You should insist that the landlord either fixes the door or replaces the oven. Happy to discuss further. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Thank you for your reply, greatly appreciated.