Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I have been charged with a driving offence; Speeding - motor

I have been charged with a driving offence; Speeding - motor vehicle exceeding 70 mph on a dual carrageway - manned equipment. Offence date 08/04/2017I have 21 days to plead guilty or not guilty to each charge.On 08/04/2017 at Exning in the county of Suffolk drove a motor vehicle, namely HYUNDAI index AK15UGU, on a dual carriageway road, namely A14, at speed exceeding 70 miles per hour Contrary to article 2(c) of the 70 Miles Per Hour, 60 Miles Per Hour, and 50 Miles Per Hour (Temporary Speed Limit) Order 1977, section 89(1) of the Road Traffice Regulation Act 1984 and Schedule 2 to the Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988.Statement of Facts - At 18:20 on 08/04/2017 the defendant (ME) drove HYUNDAI index AK15UGU on A14, a dual carrageway, at a speed exceeding the legal limit of 70 mph. The speed recorded by means of Pro laser detection device was 98 mph.The speed of the offence is classed as a High Speeder, too fast for a Conditional Offer to be issued.This offence carries penalty points.At the time of the event I gave a statement to the officer:
"I am sorry and I shouldn't have been speeding."My questions are as follow:Can I do something about the fact that the Police officer told me that in 5 working days I will receive a letter to attend to Ipswich Magistrates Court but instead I received this letter 5 months later?If I attend to court and plead guilty how many penalty points am I likely to get?
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
One last question:In June the law changed and became more severe but my offence was in April. Do I still get prosecuted according the law before or after it changed?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 25 days ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

What is the date of summons?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
I must fill in the forms in the pack they sent me and I must fill in the statement of means for (MC100)
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 25 days ago.

What is the date of summons?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
There isn't one
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Like I said I must fill in the form and send it by post or go online to makeplea.justice.gov.uk and enter the information from the charge sheet(s) in this pack.
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
I believe that once I go on https://www.gov.uk/make-a-plea and make a plea I will then the date of summons.
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
I have attached the pack for you to look at.
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
If I plea guilty is it better to attend to court or not?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 25 days ago.

They are in time. They have six months to bring a prosecution. If you plead guilty then you don't need to attend court.

Your offence will be sentenced on the law dated at time of offence, so old law.

Can I clairfy anyfibng for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Does it make any difference if I attend to court or not?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 25 days ago.

No. It's a minor offence.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
thank you very much.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 25 days ago.

All the best. If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, by clicking on the 5 stars or happy face at the bottom of the screen, otherwise the site does not pay me for the time spent with you today. It is also an important part of the online process. Thank you in advance and good luck!

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
not a problem.
I would like to ask you one last thing.On the pack I sent you, the last page says:
Guilty Plea if the matter is proved (minimum £620). This is to reflect the increased cost of preparation and presentation of the case.Does that mean that the minimum fine is £620 and up to £1000 ?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 25 days ago.

That is if it went to trial. If you plead not guilty it will be far less.

Does that clairfy?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
thank you.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 25 days ago.