31090051

Today I have had a demand for a replacement windscreen of

Customer Question

Hi. Today I have had a demand for a replacement windscreen of which I was asked to pay an excess of £65. I called my insurance broker to find out if this was covered under my comprehensive policy as I could not access my policy on-line. I was put through to the correct department who arranged a call back from my nearest windscreen company, National Windscreens. Little did I know, the initial call was put through to a company called, Charles Pugh, they were my insurance companies contractor. They authorised the replacement and arranged for an engineer to come to my address to carry out the replacement. I was told to pay the engineer the balance of £65. This was all done. After a week, National windscreens contacted me to say that I wasn't covered and I need to pay the balance. I asked the amount and was told that it was a further £75. When I returned back from holiday, I contacted my insurance company to ask why they had authorised the replacement, knowing that this was not included in my cover. The lady that I was transferred to said that I need to contact my insurance company, you've been put through to National Windscreens.... The penny had dropped, so to say. National Windscreens were the ones that gave me the go-ahead. I had no choice in this matter, I had officially been mislead by the company that was carrying out the work. At no point was I notified. After some emails and calls to NW, I have been handed a final demand. I would like to be represented by a solicitor on this matter and as a matter of principle, take this further. They, National Windscreens have, in my opinion, hoodwinked me. They have put a further £100 onto the invoice from their initial call. Please advise. Regards, ***** ***** Derby.***@******.***
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  JGM replied 1 month ago.

Did your insurance broker say you were covered?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
They gave me no reply. As my call was transferred, I was put under the impression that cover was taken care of. It was only after the installation of the windscreen, a week later, that National Windscreens contacted me. I'm no legal expert but I know when I have been mislead. When I took out my policy, I did a like for like via compare the market. I changed my policy from, MoreThan to Hastings direct. They have told me that I am not covered. In hindsight, I should have checked my policy for the correct cover, that is why I called my broker but as stated, I had no choice but to go through with the replacement as I was at no point told otherwise.
Expert:  JGM replied 1 month ago.

It sounds to me that you have a claim against your broker on the basis that the policy wasn’t like for like AND by putting you on to National Windscreens they implied you were covered. Whether National Windscreens were at fault too depends if they went ahead knowing you weren’t covered. If they did not know then I don’t see how they aren’t entitled to be paid. Assuming you didn’t have insurance you would still presumably have had to replace the windscreen. Happy to discuss further.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The fact of the matter, as far as I can see; I wasn't given any choice but to go ahead with this replacement, at no time was I told to check my policy, thats what the call was for initially. NW told me that it was my responsibility to check my cover, that is exactly what I was doing but as stated, unbeknown to me, they (NW) were dealing with the claim. They should have checked this on the insurance companies behalf, especially as they were dealing with the claim calls.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Another problem is, if I get too heavy with my insurance company, Hastings Direct, they may refuse my policy and cancel it forthwith, not sure if that is legal as I pay the full amount for the year... I do not want to get into a dispute with them. Someone is at fault and I know that it not I.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have told National Windscreens of my intention to pursue this matter and get legal advice. I have until the 13th Oct to settle the invoice or they have threatened to take further action. I am not the kind of person to given to their threats and want to counter act any action taken against myself.
Expert:  JGM replied 1 month ago.

Your insurance company can’t cancel your policy over this. My opinion is that your broker is at fault.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What is your advise to tell my broker?
Expert:  JGM replied 1 month ago.

No, you have cause for complaint against your broker for the reason I indicated above.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hi. I have been charged twice for your services. Today I looked at my statement and 2 x payment for £47 have been taken out of my account. Please explain why this is and make a refund at your earliest convenience.
Regards, ***** *****