31090051

Unfortunately my neighbour has passed away and her family

Unfortunately my neighbour has passed away and her family are going to sell the house.
She has allowed me to use a part of her ground as a driveway for more than 20 years. I paid for the materials and labour to construct the driveway.
Do I have any rights of access when the house has been sold?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  JGM replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland. What you have is called a prescriptive servitude. Provided you have used the driveway without objection for 20 years or more, and can prove that you have done so, there is a right of access established by law. So your neighbour is right apart from the length of use which has to be 20 years, not 10, for a prescriptive servitude. Happy to discuss further. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.