Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

We approached an estate agent looking to rent a property for

We approached an estate agent looking to rent a property for a minimum of three years, we made this clear. We passed all the credit checks etc, and were offered the property, renting from 25/11/16. When we went to sign the lease it was for one year, we stated that you (estate agents) were aware we wanted a minimum three years, and we were told that a one year lease was normal and we would get a two year lease at the anniversary date. We went ahead and signed. The property was in disrepair and had no lighting in three of the downstairs rooms. We replaced the Lighting at our own expense, decorated the whole house, bought a new oven and induction hob (the existing one was not serviceable)' new curtains and blinds. All at our expense, as we were told that the landlady would not pay for anything. We were there for three years so we considered it a reasonable cost over those three years.
Seven months later we received an email stating that we were to leave the premises on the 25th November this year. But and this was specifically stated, that the landlady would have no objections should we wish to leave earlier. We have bought a new house, and are leaving the premises one month early, we have now been told that we have to pay for the full year I.e. Another month after we have left. They have stated that they will take this from the deposit. Do we have any rights given that we believe the email which makes no mention of the required payment, supecedes the contract? Many thanks for your help
RegaRds
Paul Dunsford***********
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you wit this.

Is your deposit protected?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
As in a proper deposit scheme? Yes
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 month ago.

Just to be clear you were told you could leave early but no reference to any additional sums due?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It is also worth mentioning that the estate agents told us the landlady also wanted a longer lease. And that the reason she wanted the property back was no reflection on us as tenants ( in the email)
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Not at all, no mention of paying for the full term,
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 month ago.

Ok - if you accepted the offer to leave, then they cant charge you sums.

In the event they try and deduct it from deposit you can issue proceedings for those sums back.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/hmctsformfinder/n1-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

If not, I would appreciate a 5 star rating for my answer. Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Many thanks five stars coming up
Paul
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 month ago.

Appreciate it Paul.