Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I am in dispute with my gym membership. I asked them to

HiI am in dispute with my gym membership. I asked them to freeze my account for 6 months due to health issues. I sent them the medical proof they asked for. I have emails saying my account will be closed for 6 months until the 01/03/2018. They want me to set up a direct debit but money won't be taken until the above date. I refused as before when I froze my account they didn't inform me after the 6 months was ended and took £102 out of my account for 2 months of unattendance. I have had letter from them saying I am in breach of contract. I don't understand why as I don't owe them any money until 01/03/2018. This is all because I won't reactivate the direct debit. As long as I pay for the services after 01/03/2018 I don't see there problem. On the 30th Sept I have also asked them to cancel the account and they have now sent letters to a debt agency to recover payment. Can you let me know where I stand please.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

Did they confirm it writing it would be frozen?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
If I filled in the direct debit form. They said no payment would be taken but I ended up paying £102 last time cause they didn't inform me 6 months was up. I told them I would reactivate the direct debit on March 2018 if I wanted to continue being a gym member. I then received a letter from them saying I owed them money and I was in breach of contract. I was extremely annoyed by this and sent another email on 30th Sept asking them to cancel account. Now I have a letter from the debt agency saying I owe £102 for 2 months.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No Sorry Im not paying £44.. I will end up paying you more than them.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 month ago.

Ok - in that case you need not worry.

Simply write back saying that it was confirmed no payment would be taken.

The reality is they wont take it any further.
If they issued proceedings then it would cost far more to bring the claim than it is worth.

So just write a letter setting out your position and saying that is the end of the matter.

If not I would appreciate a 5 star rating for my answer. Thanks!