How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 70635
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I returned a faulty motorcycle (2nd hand) after 21 days but

Resolved Question:

I returned a faulty motorcycle (2nd hand) after 21 days but the retailer has kept £200 as a returns fee.
Is this legal? as the vehicle was genuinely faulty
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 month ago.

This is a dealer sale?

What is their justification?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
They said it is because i did not let them repair the motorbike and card company charges.
which is true but in the 21 days I had the bike the speedometer, (which they did repair) rev counter, electric starter all malfunctioned, then the bike stopped running it cost me £75 to have the bike picked up and returned to the retailer.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 month ago.

Ok. How old is and how much did you pay?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The bike is 8 yrs old but only had 23 thousand miles on the clock and cost £1295 which I paid for by debit card
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 month ago.

I have to concede that I do think they could deduct something if there was no chance to repair the bike themselves.

That is an enormous percentage of the sale price though. It is far too high for the reduction to be sensible and reasonable.

Are you prepared to sue?


Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am thinking small claims court I feel I (with some assistance) could do the ground work and present the case myself as it is not a huge amount of money. Is that a reasonable action?