12826847

I returned a faulty motorcycle (2nd hand) after 21 days but

I returned a faulty motorcycle (2nd hand) after 21 days but the retailer has kept £200 as a returns fee.
Is this legal? as the vehicle was genuinely faulty
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 month ago.

This is a dealer sale?

What is their justification?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
They said it is because i did not let them repair the motorbike and card company charges.
which is true but in the 21 days I had the bike the speedometer, (which they did repair) rev counter, electric starter all malfunctioned, then the bike stopped running it cost me £75 to have the bike picked up and returned to the retailer.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 month ago.

Ok. How old is and how much did you pay?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The bike is 8 yrs old but only had 23 thousand miles on the clock and cost £1295 which I paid for by debit card
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 month ago.

I have to concede that I do think they could deduct something if there was no chance to repair the bike themselves.

That is an enormous percentage of the sale price though. It is far too high for the reduction to be sensible and reasonable.

Are you prepared to sue?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am thinking small claims court I feel I (with some assistance) could do the ground work and present the case myself as it is not a huge amount of money. Is that a reasonable action?