Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

My neighbour has a mature oak tree. We spoke with her about

My neighbour has a mature oak tree. We spoke with her about having branches on our side cut because of light and h&s. She asked if we could get some branches on her side cut too (and she would pay half.. which I don't need her to do). The work has been done, she's fuming, hates it as she thinks too much has been cut off. Tree surgeon couldn't gain access to her property on the day so dropped from the tree into her garden to clear any mess ( his decision ). She is clearly going to take this whole thing further ... I only cut her side because she asked me to. Where do I stand ? I still have the wood from her side if she wants it back.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Just to be clear, did you cut much of her side?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Overall it was a 50%reduction in the tree.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 month ago.

You should offer the wood back. But if the neighbour asked you to cut it back and you carried it on instructions, then you are not liable.

If the neighbour didnt explain how much or far to cut it back, its their own fault.

As such if you acted on instructions there is nothing the neighbour can do.

If not, I would appreciate a 5 star rating for my answer. Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That sounds great. What if she denies having the conversation about cutting branches on her side ( although when ranting on my doorstep we reminded her on the conversation and she didn't deny it she just said 'she didn't mean that much ')
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 month ago.

It would be for her to prove it didnt happen.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Amazing thanks
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 month ago.

All the best. If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, by clicking on the 5 stars or happy face at the bottom of the screen, otherwise the site does not pay me for the time spent with you today. It is also an important part of the online process. Thank you in advance and good luck!