Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I booked a holiday using Trivago which directed me to use a

I booked a holiday using Trivago which directed me to use a website called roomhopper.com where I paid in full for the holiday which was to occur in Orlando Florida in September this year. Due to Hurricane Irma our flights were going to have to be moved back a couple of days from the 11th of September to the 13th of September. I contacted the hotel we were meant to stay at on the 7th of September and were informed our reservation was cancelled on the 17th of August despite me not receiving any information from them or a refund on my credit card. I then spent from the 7th-11th trying to contact roomhopper.com on the number on my booking reference and had emailed them but with absolutely no response to either.Due to their total lack of communication I was then forced to book another hotel through a different agent at a much greater cost and I contacted Trivago about the issue and they gave me a different contact number for roomhopper.com which was actually answered.Roomhopper.com claimed that due to me booking so early (I booked the holiday on the 6th of January and full payment was taken that month) that a virtual card, which according to roomhopper.com is issued for this process, had run out so the booking had been cancelled and they could renew it, due to this information being on the 11th of September two days before we flew I was not happy trust them so I told them I wanted a full refund and would be seeking expenses. After many email correspondents I finally got a full refund on the 2nd of October but they are claiming I am not eligible to claim for the additional expenses I incurred due to their inability to reply despite being told the email I had sent them on the 7th had been read.Am I actually eligible to push for expenses?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello Ben, many thanks, ***** ***** not sure what I am legally obliged to claim as they have just fobbed me off with excuse after excuse.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 month ago.

What is the total value of the expenses you have incurred and please can you also provide some more information on the this?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The total value of the expenses is £404. What additional information would you like?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 month ago.

And is this for the cost of the other hotel?

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 month ago.

Or does this value include any other expenses?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the initial booking which was £606.67 and the new hotel cost £1012.92 so the actual difference is £406.26 sorry, I have received a refund for £606.67 but not the expenses. I am only wanting the additional cost of the hotel back, I've not requested legal fees, telephone costs or even compensation.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 month ago.

OK, thank you for your response. Leave it with me for now and I will review the relevant information and laws and get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Also, please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 month ago.

I have looked into your query in more detail but unfortunately it is not something I can assist with. I will therefore ‘opt out’ and a colleague better placed to deal with the nature of your query should hopefully pick this up soon. Please do not reply in the meantime as that will just assign the question back to me and you will experience a delay. Thank you

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

How much are you seeking to claim please?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Jamie, £406.26 plus potentially legal fees.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 month ago.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/hmctsformfinder/n1-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

If not, I would appreciate a 5 star rating for my answer. Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks Jamie that's brilliant. Adding the cost of these legal fees too my claim is acceptable isn't it?Only thing that worries me is that they are based in Dubai so not sure if that will cause an issue?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 month ago.

Yes. You may need to get it enforced over there.
I cant advise on the law in Dubai.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok cool, I'll see what I can find out. Many thanks
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 month ago.

All the best. If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, by clicking on the 5 stars or happy face at the bottom of the screen, otherwise the site does not pay me for the time spent with you today. It is also an important part of the online process. Thank you in advance and good luck!

Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience: Solicitor