Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

Someone is threatening legal action as he said that I

Someone is threatening legal action as he said that I insinuated he my kids wld be unsafe with him after a first date whereby he told me he was abused by his father as a child, I then after some though the next day was trying to be honest and said I didn't think it would work as wouldn't feel paranoid leaving him around my kids, he's now saying he's going to sue me for deformation of character I haven't even spoke to anyone else abt it except a family advisor I speak to at my daughters school. I was just trying to be honest,
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It was after a first date. He's saying he can sue for deformation of character when I never actually said that.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

What is it you want to know about this today please?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Jamie,
Just whether he can actually do that? And he could have a plausible case, I didn't actually say I thought he was a threat but said it was to do with my own worries after what he told me about his own father. I was just trying to be honest and now hes twisted it saying he could sue up to 10,000 for deformation of character and I never even said that it's all clearly stated in the texts.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 month ago.

No.

Assuming you had said something he would need to issue proceedings in the High Court and show that he has suffered serious harm.

If he cant then his claim would fail. These are specialist proceedings and he would need to raise about £25,000 in order to get this to to trial.

But it sounds like it is hot air - once he looks into it, its far too complicated and costly to do anything.

But even then, the claim doesnt even get off the ground because you didnt say anything!

If not, I would appreciate a 5 star rating for my answer. Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That's great! Thanks Jamie :)
Hopefully he wont even bother, yes would definitely say so re the hot air.
Just said I would be concerned and surely he cant sue for that?!
Of course no probs!
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 month ago.

Correct!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Good!