12826847

I've just knocked over a street lamppost, mine or no other

I've just knocked over a street lamppost, mine or no other vehicles were damaged, & nobody was injured. There was nobody around. Do I legally have to report this to the police & my insurers?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 month ago.

when did this happen please ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Yesterday 20/10/17 at about 5.00pm
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 month ago.

You do have a duty to report under S170[1][iii]

170Duty of driver to stop, report accident and give information or documents.

(1)This section applies in a case where, owing to the presence of a [F1mechanically propelled vehicle] on a road [F2or other public place], an accident occurs by which—

(a)personal injury is caused to a person other than the driver of that [F1mechanically propelled vehicle], or

(b)damage is caused—

(i)to a vehicle other than that [F1mechanically propelled vehicle] or a trailer drawn by that [F1mechanically propelled vehicle], or

(ii)to an animal other than an animal in or on that [F1mechanically propelled vehicle] or a trailer drawn by that [F1mechanically propelled vehicle], or

(iii)to any other property constructed on, fixed to, growing in or otherwise forming part of the land on which the road [F3or place] in question is situated or land adjacent to such land.

You have 24 hours so you are just in time.

If they query the delay just explain you were taking advice.