Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor
Experience:  I have 20 years of experience as a solicitor in litigation and other areas
12609314

Lodge my wife and I bought a house in beaulieu park

Good evening my name is ***** ***** my wife and I bought a house in beaulieu park Chelmsford Essex cm1 6ea no 13 in 2000 it was built by countryside builders and country side also constructed and developed the park next to our house ,now taken over by Chelmsford city council in this park which you can see on google earth they simultaneously planted rows of young horse chestnut trees how ever now the roots of the nearest tree we believe is causing subsidence to our house which is only 7 mores away we are told that soil is clay and we have paid for a surveyor/ engineer to do a report for us and he also believes the tree roots are the problem, we haven't contacted our insurance company yet as we believe there is some negligence by the builder the nhbc and the council who must have agreed to the planting of this tree what can I do now if you are able to answer me
Kind regards ***** *****
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Michael Holly replied 1 month ago.

Dear *****

You can claim against Chelmsford City Council who planted and own the tress that are causing the problem.

You need to write to them enclosing a copy of the surveyors report. This is a common problem for council and they will have their own officer who deal with the management of their trees who will investigate.

You will be compensated for any damage caused to your property by the trees.

I would report it to my own insurers just in case it transpires that the trees are not the problem

If there are any further points please reply I will be happy to respond

Kindly either rate or accept my answer on the system so I get credit for my time.

Best wishes

Michael