Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor
Experience:  I have 20 years of experience as a solicitor in litigation and other areas
12609314

I have been doing work for employers through a site called

Customer Question

Hello, i have been doing work for employers through a site called Freelancer.com, this was going fine for a short time until it turned out that many of the employers on this site are actually fake accounts set up to scam people, steal their work and the disappear without payment. I was aware on several occasions this was the case and tried to warn the support teams this was going to happen and these profiles were fake, but they did nothing as as a result i have lost over £500 of work in two weeks. They refuse any responsibility, but throughout using the site i was guaranteed the payment was verified and secured during the course of the project, but they allowed these employers to remove their payment methods and delete their accounts the same day as payment was due. Surely Freelancer are responsible in some way for this? Can you advise?
Expert:  Michael Holly replied 21 days ago.

By providing a specific guarantee that the payment was verified and secured they varied any other terms that they are now seeking to rely upon so they are liable.

I assume that you pay the site for the work provided so you have a contract with them and the have a duty of care to you as well to execute the contract with reasonable care.

They were aware of the potential problem but did nothing about it.

I would threaten to sue them using the online money claim system which is pretty straightforward.

If there are any further points please reply I will be happy to respond.

Kindly accept or rate my answer on the system so I get credit for my time.

Best wishes

Michael