29905560

I discovered a cheque to the value of £1340 which was issued

Customer Question

I discovered a cheque to the value of £1340 which was issued to me in the year 2000. The payment was from the company who was then running my pension. The cheque was sent to me with other documents and was not noticed by me at the time. What is my legal position? I realise there is a time limit on when a bank will accept a cheque but the drawer still legally responsible to the payee to pay the money?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 19 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 19 days ago.

Each bank has its own rules on accepting cheques but the usual time limit is 6 months. As this cheque is 17 years old it is extremely unlikely that any bank will accept it so long after it was issued. You can try but don't expect anything to happen. As far as the debt is concerned, legally the company will still owe that debt. The issue is that there is also a statute of limitations in terms of making a claim for it and it would have run our after 6 years, so some time in 2006. As such you are also 10 years too late to make a court claim for this debt now and the only way to get payment is to get the company to voluntarily pay it - if they refuse, you cannot take the matter further any more as you would legally be out of time to do so.

I trust this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above - this is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you still need me to clarify anything else, please reply on here and I will assist as best as I can. Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 19 days ago.

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question? You can either reply on here with a quick ‘Yes, thanks’, or select 3, 4 or 5 stars on this page. I can still answer follow up questions if needed to clarify anything for you. Many thanks

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 17 days ago.

Hello, not sure if you are having trouble seeing my posts? Do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the response to your query? I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks