29905560

A gas fire costing £450 says it has to be serviced annually

Customer Question

A gas fire costing £450 says it has to be serviced annually which I accept but part of the annual service they say is to install a heat thermostat, @£250 plus fitting,as this is really the only thing that can go wrong is this fair?The fire was purchased 16.12.2016 and installed 8July 2017.When does guarantee commence?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 18 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 18 days ago.

Were you informed of this at the time of purchase and have you contacted the seller at all regarding this?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
The manufactures guarantee card states new thermostat required at annual service.I rang to enquire to cost.with fitting it would an annual cost of threequarters the cost of the firr
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 18 days ago.

OK, thank you for your response. Leave it with me for now and I will review the relevant information and laws and get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Also, please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
When does warranty commence?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 17 days ago.

Many thanks for your patience. The warranty an commence on different dates, based on the terms of that warranty. Most warranties commence on date of purchase, even if item installed later. Others commence at date of registration, but I would say 95% of cases it is date of purchase. So unless anything to the contrary is stated in the terms you have to assume that it starts on the date of purchase.

I trust this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above - this is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you still need me to clarify anything else, please reply on here and I will assist as best as I can. Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 17 days ago.

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question? You can either reply on here with a quick ‘Yes, thanks’, or select 3, 4 or 5 stars on this page. I can still answer follow up questions if needed to clarify anything for you. Many thanks

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 16 days ago.

Hello, not sure if you are having trouble seeing my posts? Do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the response to your query? I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Still so not know if it falls under the Unfair Contract Act when a £450 product should require A £300 plus part every year?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 16 days ago.

It is not an unfair term, there are numerous examples where something similar may happen and a product would reauire ongoing maintenance at a cost similar to the purchase price. It would matter whether you were made aware of this at the outset though so check the terms to see if such costs were mentioned