29905560

Will I lose my nurse job for having cannabis in my urine

Customer Question

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 18 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 18 days ago.

How long have you worked there for and was this a workplace drugs test?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
No
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 18 days ago.

How long have you worked there for?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Thanks for getting back. I am a nurse they felt inwS not fit to drive I had hd a hash cake weeks prior and now I have lost everything I can Brent cope thanks for your comcerm
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 18 days ago.

Thank you but please confirm how long you worked there for and also how did they find out about this?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I do not work for the police I have worked for the nhs 32yrs never had any problem with police it was my fort time in a station I had been to dr 25 mind prior I felt ill but I did take canabsis 2 weeks prior first time in 37yrs when at uni and my friend had a plastic thing called a grinder and it smashed he told me to take to shop to return amd that was mynintention I don’t even smoke I honestly feel pointless very baddies
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I have been in quetioine. 25mgs for years and recently setraline I have spent 25yrs on anti depressants I told the dr I felt fast constant talking and it is over the sergeant told me I could wait 2 months to 12 years to find out I can’t my job is my life and I the breathekised me it was zero I don’t know what to do and because of my mental ness I can’t cope
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 17 days ago.
Thank you. Just because the police have found cannabis in your urine does not automatically mean you will lose your job. There are many factors which need to be taken into consideration. For example:
- has your employer found out about this
- if not, are they likely to (the police will not automatically report this to them so you have to check if you are required to under contract)
- is the a specific policy in work which says you cannot consume drugs at any time
- do they believe or have evidence you were unfit to work as a result of thisAs far as the law is concerned, the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974, employers have a legal duty to provide a safe place and systems of work for their staff and customers. This includes ensuring that all staff are fit to carry out their jobs safely and effectively in a working environment which is free from alcohol and drug misuse.
In general, misuse of alcohol and drugs can lead to reduced levels of attendance, efficiency and performance, impaired judgement and decision making and increased health and safety risks, not only for the individual taking them, but also for those around them. So if there was such a policy and they believe that you had been under the influence at work and endangered staff or parients, they can take further action. But simply having tested positive outside of work does not mean that your work will be affected. However, if the employer has a very strict policy prohibiting drugs use at any time, even in your own personal time, then if they found out about this, it could potentially lead to disciplinary action and even dismissal, although a dismissal should really be seen as a last resort option.I trust this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above - this is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you still need me to clarify anything else, please reply on here and I will assist as best as I can. Thank you
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 16 days ago.

My response to your query should be visible on this page. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question or whether you need me to clarify anything else in relation to it? If your query has been answered I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating, selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above. I can still answer follow up questions after that if needed. Thank you