12826847

My wife ordered a wig on the internet. It was paid in

Customer Question

My wife ordered a wig on the internet. It was paid in advance and measurements sent off as requested.
The wig was late arriving and was not suitable, colour, quality etc.
I immediately informed the seller and requested a refund. I offered to send the wig back.
After several emails it is obvious that the seller has no intention of a refund.
What are my rights please ?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 17 days ago.

Why is he not prepared to refund it?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
The seller claimed the wig was expensive to make ( approx £50 ) and could not be put back in stock. The seller asked for photographs of the wig ( on the wearer, I presume, ) which I have no way of achieving on line.
My wife looked like a pantomime dame in it, and my wife said it did not look at all "natural" _ it didn''t fit correctly either.c
The web site "vivs wigs" does not have any contact other than email, as far as I can see.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 17 days ago.

Oh right.

Was it made to her specification ?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
The colour and style was selected from the ones available on the web site, her head size. was measured and given with the order. My wife noted on the web site that it states "if your'e not happy send it back".
Expert:  Jo C. replied 16 days ago.

Oh I see.

They are saying that it is exempt from the distance selling regulations because it was made to your specification and indeed that is correct.

That does not mean that you don't have the normal consumer rights. It just means that you cannot reject it essentially because you don't like it. If there are faults or it is not as ordered then you would have an argument on the point.

I'm not quite clear what your actual complaint with this is. You seem to be describing a wig that you do not like. If that is right then that would not be grounds for a refund. If there are faults with the products as opposed to them being just disliked, then you would have a claim. If it is not as you ordered then you would have a claim.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I asked my wife about the wig and she said:
It didn't fit correctly, the colour was different to the website, the fringe was too long, It was poor quality and made her head itch. The top part of the wig looked very shoddy.
Actually my wife studied wig making at college ( hair styling etc.). So she does know her subject and has several qualifications.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 15 days ago.

Where did they get the measurements of her head?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
On the web site was a choice of 3 sizes, small, medium and large.
There were instructions, how, with a tape measure, to decide which size you were.
Basically we had no knowledge of the wig being specially made.
It appeared we had selected a wig, of colour and style, shown in the website and provided which size we needed.
If I send for a pair of trainers ,of a certain size, I don't expect "Nike" to start hand making a pair without telling me that I can't return them if not suitable.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 14 days ago.

Is the essence of this that we suspect her measurements might have been wrong?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
In retrospect, it seems somewhat optimistic to imagine that "small, medium or large" will provide a good fit for all the numerous head shapes that the human race posesses.
I personally measured my wifes' head. I'm sure I did a good job, as I am a BSc eng. I do not claim to be a wig expert however - my wife is.
Regards *****