Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

My seventeen year old son entered into an online contract

Customer Question

My seventeen year old son entered into an online contract with a six a side league . after a serious incident where the referee threatened a supporter of the team he does not feel safe there . the league want to charge large fees before he can leave . He has no income can he end the contract at any time without financial loss.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 14 days ago.
Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. How old is he exactly? Was the supporter threatened with physical violence?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
the supporter was seventeen year old girl one of the players girlfriends she was told she needed a good smacking she has reported this to the Football Association . The league say they have replaced the referee so my son is liable for a £64 charge for last weekend and the remaining 9 weeks of the season at over £500 . My son being only seventeen when he filled in the online contract falsified his age to enter the team. Can he terminate the contract at any time due to him being a minor. He is a student and has no income .
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
My son is just 18 on 13th of October
Expert:  Alex J. replied 14 days ago.
Thank you. The league have taken action against the referee - which means he does not have an immediate right to just terminate the contact. Will they let him find a replacement? Kind regards AJ
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
That is not an option im afraid . Is my son not a minor when entered the contract .
Expert:  Alex J. replied 13 days ago.
Thank you. The legal age for entering into a contract is 18 in the UK - so potentially they contract may not be binding on him. Did they check his age before he signed it? Or did they ask for a parent guarantee?