12826847

My daughter took out a hire purchase agreement for a car

Customer Question

My daughter took out a hire purchase agreement for a car totalling about £9000 about 9 months ago. About 6 weeks ago the car company rang her and said they had an offer to trade in her car for another one and the payments would not change. She signed for a personal loan which totalled about 14000 and got another car. Within a week she decided she did not want due to being fobbed off because of an issue with the handbrake and wrote them a letter stating about the cooling of period and the consumer rights act not fit for purpose. They said they would look at the car and gave her a courtesy car for three days. She rang them and was not satisfied with their response saying theyd checked it and there was nothing wrong with the car and repeated she did not want the car. During this period she contacted their head office stating the same. The car company phoned her and said she could keep the courtesy car for another week which would go over the 2 week cooling off period but within the cooling off period she had an email from head office stating that the contract had been terminated and they wanted £1700 for repairs or shortfall for her original car to be paid by the end of the month, this was a couple of weeks ago. I am worried that they will expect she is still within the new loan agreement and expect her to pay the loan and also the price of the new car based on I think they are trying it on with the courtesy car going beyond the 2 week period
Expert:  Alex J. replied 15 days ago.

Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. Do you have written confirmation of exercising your cooling off right within the two week period? Is she currently make any payments towards the loan? Kind regards AJ