Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

Our Accountant has made an error - and admitted it - in my

Customer Question

Our Accountant has made an error - and admitted it - in my husbands accounts for the last 3 years and now we are looking at having to pay a bill of over £10k - they are refusing to compensate only pay the fines and interest - we always save for tax but this will put us in debt and I dont believe we shoul have to cover this - they are a big company and will have insurance for this kind of thing - where can I get help re this ?
Expert:  Buachaill replied 11 days ago.

1. Dear Customer, in these circumstances, you should see a High Street solicitor and get legal proceedings issued for negligence against the accountants. Essentially, the error amounts to negligence on the part of the accountants. Unless they are willing to compensate you, then you have to sue them for negligence. It is true that all accountants carry professional indemnity insurance. However, in your situation, the accountants seem to be paying the fines and interest themselves and not putting their insurers on notice. So, if you want compensation, you are going to have to sue for it.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 11 days ago.

2. Please Rate or accept the answer as unless you do so your Expert will not receive payment from the website for answering your question.