Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

I was contacted several times by PPI Direct to investigate

Customer Question

I was contacted several times by PPI Direct to investigate if I had taken PPI at any time over the last 10 years or so. Eventually I agreed for them to look into it and they sent me several letters to sign to authorise them to approach the companies I thought I may have had credit with over the years, they drew a blank on the initial approaches so requested further docs from me. I explained I did not have any docs relating to these credit agreementsas they were all several years old. What followed was a barrage of letters and phone calls until in the end I decided enough was enough and ignored them. They now threaten me with Court action as they say I have cancelled the agreement by not acknowledging them and are demanding 200 pounds for the work carried out, I am upset and angry as I never wanted to deal with them in the first place, where do I stand on this?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 10 days ago.

Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. Do their terms and conditions allow them to charge this fee? Did they state it was a no win no fee arrangement? Kind regards AJ

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
They are quoting that as I have cancelled they can invoke reasonable charges for the work carried out. I have pointed out that I have not cancelled, I simply did not respond due to the harassment I have had, and my wife, from them. It is a no win no fee case
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I have to go to work now, but I can email you the e mail they have sent me re charges
Expert:  Alex J. replied 10 days ago.

Thank you - as a matter of contract law silence cannot be used to imply anything. The fact they are saying your silence equals termination is incorrect. I would write back to them and say:

(i) They have failed to deliver on the service as promised;

(ii) The demands for money amount to harassment which is a criminal offence under S.40 of the Administration of Justice Act 1970;

(iii) Say you deny you owe anything and if they continue to chase you, you reserve the right to report the matter to (a) Trading Standards (b) The Police.

(iv) Say if they cannot make a claim based on the information they have provided that is their failing for which you are not liable.

If they then decided to sue you which (rightly or wrongly) is their prerogative - you will have to defend the claim.

I look forward to hearing form you.
Kind regards AJ