31090051

I own a property in Scotland with my 4 siblings. The

Customer Question

I own a property in Scotland with my 4 siblings. The property is vacant and in a good state of repair. I have been asked to consider renting the property to a couple who live in the locality where the house is located. who wish to rent the property for circa 4 months whist their own house is being refurbished.My questions are:
What type of tenancy agreement is suitable in these circumstances and what are the risks?
What are my legal responsibilities in renting the property?
Expert:  JGM replied 12 days ago.

1. You should use a short assured tenancy agreement. This should be for a minimum of six months. You can agree to terminate early but the agreement has to state that it is for a minimum of six months. 2. The main risk is that you would have to go to court to get them out if they refuse to leave after the term. 3. Your legal responsibilities relate mainly to ensuring that the property is in a suitable condition to let and that the appliances work. Nowadays you need hard wired smoke detectors, a gas safety certificate and an electrical safety certificate. A good source of information for you is the Shelter Scotland website. Happy to discuss further. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.