Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

A Liability Order was obtained against me at the Willesden

Good Morning,A Liability Order was obtained against me at the Willesden Magistrates' Court on the summons hearing of 31-Oct-2017.
The above mentioned summons has been made by the London Borough of Brent as a result of having not paied the council tax. However, the money due to the council tax was taken, as usual, from my husband bank account by direct debit.
After receiving the summons letter, we found that the tax we were paying referred to a property we were not longer living in, having moved to a new property two months earlier, and this succeded in being not paying any tax for the new property. Although we promptly updated all our positions with our move and our new address, something seems has gone bad with our Brent online account, and due to this, our changes were actually not registrated (but we were not at all aware of this). The council was aware of our move, as they set up a new council tax account for us, but our payiment were still related to the old one.A Brent officer did assure me, on the 5 October 2017, to have sort the thing out, she set up a direct debit for the new property and she stated we no longer needed to appear in Court the 31 October.However, on the 9th November I received the letter about the Liability Order against me obtained on the 31st October, which means the thing was not been sorted out at all, and I should have gone to the Court.Furthernore, I found, again, that no money due for the montly council tax had been taken out from the bank account, while it should as she set up a new direct debit. I take I am going to receive another summond.On the 15th November, a very apologising Brent officer, assured me to have sort the thing out, again, but I actually have no longer trust in them.I wondered if this will affect my so far perfect credit checks and DBS Certificates, if the Liability Order is still pending and if I should pay it anyway, to avoid further issues, even though we didn't do any wrong thing, we have always payed our tax and we are willing to keep doing it.Thank you
Daria Masia
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 26 days ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Was the summons ever withdrawn in writing?
Did you not attend Court?

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
No, we didn't recieved any written document of the withdrawn.
And I didn't attend the Court as the Brent Ocfficer did assure me ithere was not any need. Otherwise I would attend for sure, but, as I should have taken a day off from work, and taking the thing was no longer needed, I didn't.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 26 days ago.

Sure. I would write to the Chief Officer of Brentwood and make a formal complaint.

That office will investigate the matter and report back to you.

If they do not uphold the complaint you can then complain to the Local Government Ombudsman.

They offer a free, independent service and can examine your complaint at: www.lgo.rog.uk
That should resolve the matter for you.

If not, I would appreciate a 5 star rating for my answer. Thanks!

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
I am not asking for a formal complain, not yet. I am asking if the summons is still pending and if, to avoid my credit and DBS future checks being negatively affected.Moreover, it is the Brent Council, not the Brentwood.
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
sorry, to avoid the future checks to be negatively affected I have to pay anyway, even though I have not made any mistake.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 26 days ago.

If a liability order has been granted then yes.

It does not affect DBS or your credit file in any event.

Sorry Brent, thats autocorret changing it!
It has no affect on DBS or credit file whatsoever.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
thanks.It is still pending, this means I have to pay that ammount even though the council seems have set up a new direct debit, I will end in paythe same taxes two times.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 26 days ago.

No, you can dispute this. That is why you should go through the Chief Officer and LGO.

Its only one sum.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Kind Regards
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 26 days ago.

All the best. If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, by clicking on the 5 stars or happy face at the top of the screen, otherwise the site does not pay me for the time spent with you today. It is also an important part of the online process. Thank you in advance and good luck!

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Already done!
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 26 days ago.

Thanks!