12826847

Do single yellow lines have to be continuous and end in a T

Customer Question

Do single yellow lines have to be continuous and end in a T bar for the enforcement of a PCN?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 27 days ago.

No. Not for a very long time.

There has been case law on the point that requires them only to be 'substantially compliant'

Generally speaking, if the adjudicator is of the view that it was possible to tell upon reasonable inspection that the line was a yellow line and therefore what a motorist should or should not do as a result then the PCN will be enforced.

if they are so badly broken that they created genuine confusion then that is different.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
I have attached two relevant photographs and would appreciate your concidered opinion
Expert:  Jo C. replied 26 days ago.

I think I would probably appeal that.

Clearly it is badly maintained.

I do think it is possible to argue that you would have known it was a yellow line but it is the sort of poor maintenance that could go either way.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Hi again ... I did appeal within an hour of receiving the PCN and I've attached the reply ... do you think I should take it further?
I thought the bit about the "minor imperfections and fading colour" laughable.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 26 days ago.

Oh the informal appeal will always be rejected.

It is the adjudicator that will dispense proper justice

I would appeal but that is me.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Great ... I'll take it to the next step, I understand it could go either way but it's good to know at least one legally trained person thinks I've got a valid arguement. If the adjudicator finds against me would you then take it further?
Thank you ... Bill.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 26 days ago.

There are few appeals beyond the Adjudicator. Then it tends to get expensive.

I wouldn't pursue it beyond that.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Thank you ... Bill.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 26 days ago.

No problem and all the best.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jomo1972’.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Brilliant.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 26 days ago.