29905560

I wish to take time off from work to donate my eggs to a

I wish to take time off from work to donate my eggs to a fertility clinic. My manager is not allowing this even though I've said I will book appointments at the beginning or end of the day to have the least disruption to my work day. I've also said I'll take it unpaid and still he is not allowing this. Another employee has been authorised a day off to look after her kids as she couldn't find childcare. Am I being discriminated against? Can I say me donating eggs are my children. I just don't think it's fair at all. Please provide advice.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 24 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 24 days ago.

Unfortunately the employer is not acting unlawfully here and whilst you can certainly argue their actions are immoral, they are not illegal. This is not discrimination because it does not fall within any of the grounds on which discrimination takes place. Your eggs are not your children, at least not yet, so you cannot use that argument.

Sadly there is no law that allows you to just take time off to donate your eggs like this. It would have to be done in your own time, with the employer’s permission or by taking annual leave or taking the risk and going off sick if you can find a plausible reason for doing so.

I'm sorry if this is not necessarily the answer you were hoping for, however I do have a duty to be honest and explain the actual legal position. This does mean delivering bad news from time to time. I hope you understand and would be happy to provide any further clarification if needed. If you are still satisfied with the level of service I have provided regardless of the contents of the answer, I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above. Thank you