13262538

My mother is in a care home and at the moment paus for her

My mother is in a care home and at the moment paus for her full care from her savings. She wishes to help her grandchildren out by giving them some money from her savings. Is she allowed to give money from her savings or would it affect her future care when she goes below the threshold with which the government has to start paying for her care ?
Expert:  F E Smith replied 21 days ago.

Hello for clarification - does she own a property at all and how long has she been in care home?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
No she doesn't own a property and she has been in her care home since March 2017
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
I can't afford the extra cost to speak via a phone call.
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Are you still there ?
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
I am still waiting for a reply.
Expert:  Clare replied 21 days ago.

My name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you.

I am afraid that your mother has no limited freedom to give her money away at this stage

She can certainly give modest gifts at Christmas and on Birthdays BUT she cannot give large sums away as the Local Authority will simply act as though she still has those funds available to her.

I am sorry that the news is not good - please ask if you need further details

Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Thank you for your reply