29905560

I'm 61 and work for Shropshire county council in a job that

I'm 61 and work for Shropshire county council in a job that entails alot of hard manual work, earlier this year I had an accident at work, not my fault but also not really theirs so I don't want to go down that route, but it has left me off work for four months or so and is now looking as though I wont be able to return to this kind of work. Keeping in mind that I will have to find another job and maybe go onto benefits while I find one, would it be better for me to resign due to ill health or get them to retire me due to ill health?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 21 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 21 days ago.

How long have you worked for this employer for?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
since the 23 sept 2013
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 21 days ago.

OK, thank you for your response. Leave it with me for now and I will review the relevant information and laws and get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Also, please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 21 days ago.

Thanks for your patience. Whilst your benefits may not necessarily be affected regardless of which option you choose, if you were to resign, the JobCentre can potentially delay your benefits for up to 26 weeks if you resigned without good cause. You obviously have good cause here, but if they are unsure about it or they want to investigate further, it may slightly delay your benefits. Therefore, just to be able to show that you had not made the decision to leave but it was a choice by the employer,l it may be better to get early retirement on ill health grounds.

I trust this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above - this is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you still need me to clarify anything else, please reply on here and I will assist as best as I can. Thank you