Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

My mother gifted her house to me but we can't find the

My mother gifted her house to me but we can't find the document. Will this have been recorded anywhere?
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 22 days ago.

Hi, when was this done?

Kind Regards

Al

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Over 29 years ago and the solicitor is no longer practicing.
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Sorry, that should have been 21 years ago.

Hi, thanks for your reply. Well, if it was 21 years ago, the Solicitor should have registered the transaction at the Land Registry, and in turn, the Land Registry should have registered you as the owner of the property. Nowadays, "the Deeds" to a property are stored electronically at the Land Registry and these can be downloaded by anyone .

A copy of the Deeds is all that is required to sell the property and is evidence that the owner of the property is indeed the owner. I can check if the Deeds are registered at the Land Registry if you can provide your address.

I hope this helps? Kind Regards Al

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
It's***** Fulwood, Preston, Lancs PR2 8NU

Hi, sorry for delay. Please give me a few minutes and I will come back to you. Al

Hi, I'm afraid Number 93 is the only property in the road not registered at the Land Registry! You therefore need to track down where the paper Title Deeds are. Not sure if the law firm you used is still in existence, but if they are, you need to check with them. Otherwise, they could be lodged with your Mum's Bank or failing that, in her house!

Sorry I haven't been able to give you a positive answer, but if I have helped, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer in the top right hand corner of your screen. Kind Regards Al

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Ok, thank you.

Thanks. If you could rate my answer, that would be appreciated. Kind Regards Al

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
We have the deeds dating back to last century. It's a copy of the gifting if the house that we can't find. So do we assume that the gifting paperwork was never lodged and just make a new one?
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Oh and the law firm is no longer in existence

Hi, if the gifting document isn't with the other Deeds, your Mother can ask a Solicitor to prepare the Transfer document now. All the best. Al

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
The original deeds state number 87 but the house number has changed at some point in the last 100 years or so to number 93. The gift was done as number 93 and presumably would have been ledges as that.
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Sorry that should have read lodged not ledges

Hi, well I can confirm number 93 is not registered at the Land Registry. So, you will need to get a new Transfer drawn up and signed. Kind Regards Al

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Thank you, you've been very helpful. Have a nice evening.