Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I booked a removal service with a company. I told them

Customer Question

I booked a removal service with a company. I told them everything I had in my property and they offered a quote for £208 for packing and removal, which I accepted. They sent a confirmation email and I assumed everything was fine.A couple of days later they called to tell me that they misquoted me and the new price was £350 and it did not include packing. Moving is very expensive and I had to budget strictly so I told them I could only afford to pay £208. I suggested that as it was their mistake and they admitted this, they should give me the moving service for £208 and if they did, I would be happy to do my own packing. They declined. After a couple of days of going back and forth they cancelled the booking via text without consulting me.I managed to move myself and later complained on trust pilot. The company contacted me and asked if there was anything they could do to restore faith. As I dint need the removal service they asked if I needed any work done in my new property. I told them I did and they said that they could provide complimentary carpentry service. They asked if 2 hours would suffice and I suggested they bring someone to quote as I wasn't a professional.They then emailed me again to confirm that, I quote, 'The inspection will be free and the carpentry work itself would be free.' And they approximated 2 hours subject to the carpenter coming to assess the work.The carpenter came and he told them it would be an all day job. They are now telling me that the y will give me a discount of £150 which is what I paid the other removal guys to move me.As I have emails of them telling me they will provide the service for free but are now saying I have to pay for it, I feel duped and would like to sue. Do you think I have a case? if so, what is the best way to pursue it.I have all the email correspondence and also recorded phone calls.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 22 days ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

Have you paid anything yet?

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Hello, No I haven't paid them anything.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 22 days ago.

Then don’t. They said it was free. They can’t change their mind. This is breach of contract.

If not, I would appreciate a 5 star rating for my answer. Thanks!

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
They haven't done the free work yet. They emailed me today telling me that I will be getting it for a discount. I guess they'll say they wont do the work if I don't agree to pay for it. But I want the work done for free as thats what they said they'll do.I need to know if I have a legal case against them if they don't do the work for free like they said they would? And if so, how do I go about suing them?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 22 days ago.

Yes you do. You would sue them for the cost of getting someone else in to do the work.

So, if for example, it was £500 to get someone else in, you would sue for that.

Does that clairfy?

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
No, I also asked how I would go about suing...
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
I read into small claims, and it says on gov.uk that I pay court fees and apply. Is that the best route and do I need a solicitor bore I do this or can I do this myself?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 22 days ago.

You need to write and set out your losses (of any cost)and request a refund within 14 days or say will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/hmctsformfinder/n1-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

If you want an injunction to make them do the work the court fee is £308 and you still need to complete form n1 but submit it to your local County Court.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
just one more thing please. If I take them to court can I get them to cover my court fees? How do I go about doing that?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 22 days ago.

its added to the claim automatically.

Does that clairfy?

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
thank you so much for your help.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 22 days ago.

All the best.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 22 days ago.

It appears you asked for a refund, although I outlined legally the steps you need to take?