ukfamilysolicitor
ukfamilysolicitor, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor Currently specialising in Family. Also experienced in Corporate, Employment, Civil Litigation, Debt Recovery
74916426

The father of my two children has picked them up on a Friday

The father of my two children has picked them up on a Friday evening and drop them back on a Sunday for the past 7 1/2 year’s. He also takes our son to football training On a Thursday and I do the Tuesday run. He now has another child as do I and he is demanding that I drop the children to him on a Friday which is an hr journey round trip. He moved further afield. He is demanding for this arrangement as his partner is now going back to work and he needs to be home for his other child. However....how is this my problem??? I haven’t asked him to do anything because i have another child. I have to ask family for help if needed I don’t expect him to change anything. This is impacting on my family and my younger son. I can not take him out at five o clock (when he fall asleep) as it’s too close to bedtime yet that is why he is demanding I do it as it too close to his daughter bedtime and lots of running around for him. Yet it’s ok for me to be doing all the running around in the week for the children’s schools and after school clubs and now add taking them to his ona Friday??? Where do I stand if I say no?
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 22 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

I am a Solicitor and will assist you.

Please may I ask:

- are there any court orders in place?

- how old are your children?

- do you normally collect the children on a Sunday?

kind regards

Caroline

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
No court orders in place we have always managed no problem.
The children are 8 and 10.
No I don’t pick up on a Sunday I have never done any of the runs. He also used to take them on a weds which he demanded and I caved in but stopped that when his job changed and he moved so again I just had to deal with it and have them back on those days. I have always accommodated but really don’t see why I should have to impact my child and my family when this is his problem? Surely he needs to source help through his family like I have to.

Thank you for your response.

As there is no court order in place then you are not breaching anything if you did not agree to what the father is requesting.

If the father did not agree with you saying no then his recourse would be to apply to your local family court for a Child Arrangements Order so that the court could decide the issue of whom should pick up and whom should collect.

If the court was to decide the issue then they normally start from the basis that travel is shared between the parents - that being he would collect for the start of his time and you would collect at the end. That being said, no two cases are the same and the basis for the decision for the courts is what is in the childrens best interests. They would consider the other commitments that you both have in relation to the half siblings and the length of time that the current arrangement has been in place - which is a considerable amount of time.

If the father did want to apply to court then he would have to refer to family mediation first. This is a prerequisite before he could apply to court. Family mediation is independant and would try and help you both tal through the issue and see if any agreement can be reached. You can self refer to mediation if you like. Google family mediation in your area and give them a call to get the ball rolling.

Let me know if I can assist you further

kind regards

Caroline

Please kindly remember to rate positively by using the stars so that credit is received for helping you today