Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

The breeder of my kitten is threatening court action, as I

The breeder of my kitten is threatening court action, as I was considering re homing him via a charity due to behaviour issues. We didn’t sign a contract . But we decided not to rehome him and work with a behaviourist instead. She is threatening us to return him to her or she will take us to court. We have tried to explain the situation but she refuses to listen and is becoming quite threatening.
Expert:  Jenny replied 18 days ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. What is the breeder upset about and why does she want you to return the kitten?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
We were considering rehoming the kitten as he has behaviour issues and has attached our other cats. We were unaware we were not allowed to do this. She says we are in breach of our contract - which we don’t actually have or have ever signed. She is insisting we return the kitten or she will take us to court. We decided not to rehome him and work with a behaviourist instead.
Expert:  Jenny replied 18 days ago.

So is it your position you don't have a contract that says you can't rehome him?

What has she said will happen if you don't return him?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
She will take us to court if he is not returned.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Sorry yes, our position is that we don’t have a contract or have signed one when we purchased.
Expert:  Jenny replied 18 days ago.

On the basis of what you say she has no right to do so whatsoever. In order to take you to court she would have to show you have breached a contract, if you have no contract to prevent you from rehoming then she cannot show a breach, if in any event you do not intend to rehome the kitten, even if there were a contract it would be irrelevant.

I would politely tell her to go away and say you have taken legal advice and you are well within your rights to keep the kitten and any further contact from her amounts to harassment.

If you have any further questions please do ask. If i have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Thank you that’s great
Expert:  Jenny replied 18 days ago.

NO problem all the best.