13262538

My mother is in and out of care homes,she has available

My mother is in and out of care homes,she has available funds for approximately 12 more months. She owns 2 cottages in a village in Somerset, lives in one and my brother lives in the other, no rent is paid by him,indeed I paid no rent when I lived there before him. She approached her solicitor with a view to signing over this second cottage to myself,my brother and my sister. Her solicitor told her that it was not in her best interests to do this. Is there a reason for this???
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I do not know the value of the 2 properties. There is land in between and a right of way access that she has on another property. She is 75.
Expert:  Clare replied 18 days ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you

Doing this at this stage will not protect the second property in terms of Care Home fees as the Local authority will simply complete the assessment as though the property still belongs to her

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
OK. So we just do nothing? She has to use ALL of any proceeds from potential house sales and my brother could be made homeless to fund any future care home fees?