Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I have moved into my house. My tenants broke their tenancy

I have moved into my house. My tenants broke their tenancy agreement and gave the fully managed services at the estate agents 5 days notice. I have moved my family back into the house. No bills or utilities or council tax was ever paid by the tenant. The electricity company is saying I have to pay the bill or use their deposit which is held at the deposit scheme. The tenant caused in excess of 4000 damage and extra cleaning was required. Avro energy are not allowing me to move to british gas even though I want and have tried to pay the bill from 13th November until present and have shown them the tenancy contract and their check out form which shows the meter readings as well. They have written to say they are apply to magistrates for disconnection of services and I have informed them that we have two young children. They are still proceeding with this and are no longer replying to my emails.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

On what basis are the energy company saying you are liable?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The email below is their claim. I have emailed current meter readings and provided them the estate agents details and check out inventory. I have asked to pay the bill from 13th November to present and this has been denied. The tenant caused substantial damages including to the carpets, walls stained with wine, garden lawn destroyed, dog faeces outside, etc. No bills were paid and council tax and water companies both allowed us to sign up and did not pursue debt of tenant any further with us.Dear Neil
Thanks for your email
As previously advised the Shorthold Tenancy Agreement we have received advises that
a) The Deposit for the property may be used in order to remedy any outstanding breach of the tenancy
b) The document advises that the tenant must clear all utilities owed on the property and therefore by failing to do so is considered a breach of tenancy
The summarise therefore there is a breach in tenancy which the deposit must be used for the rectify in full as the deposit is more than substantial (£4400.00) to cover the full debt owed (£1,243.18)
We will not disconnect you without authorisation from the Magistrates Court and you will be able to make any representations at the hearing.
Other options may be offered at the hearing including the installation of a prepayment meter
I understand your frustration however the debt is substantial and the deposit can be used to pay where a breach in the tenancy has occurred.
Kind Regards,

Just to be clear, they have no contract with you for the period of the tenancy?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
None

Then you are not liable.

The deposit is only for breaches between the tenant and you. Nothing to do with anyone else.

So if the energy company want to go after the ex tenants, they can.

But its nothing to do with you, as there is no contract and they cant ask you for anything!

If not I would appreciate a 5 star rating for my answer. Thanks!